18 October 2012
Whole Roasted Onion
At work we caramelize onions everyday in a cast iron skillet. They are insanely good and I wanted to try and replicate it at home but without a skillet. The final product is salty, sweet, and peppery. The onion is crazy tender and to finish I pour a little acidic balsamic vinegar over the top. This is key because it sort of enhances all of the other flavors. This recipe is fool-proof, very inexpensive, and will not disappoint.
Recipe (Serves 2):
-1 Large Yellow Onion (Vidalia and Wala Wala are my favorites)
-Olive Oil
-Kosher Salt
-Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
-Sugar
-Balsamic Vinegar
1- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Begin by cutting the very ends of the onion off. Then cut the onion in half. You do not have to peel the onion.
2- Toss the onion in olive oil and heavily season the cut side with salt and pepper. I mean heavily. Place cut side down on a sheet tray and season the top of the onion too.
3- Roast for about 30 minutes and then remove. Season the cut side with sugar and place back in the oven for about 15 more minutes or until the sugar has begun to caramelize.
4- When ready, I remove the outside layer and top with a little balsamic. Enjoy!
Source